Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Give and take

Sometimes in a relationship, you do things that aren't particularly exciting to you simply because your partner wants to. Sometimes the company of the other person overrides any potential unpleasantness you might experience.

This week is one of those weeks for my boyfriend and me. Tonight, I know will not be my BF's cup of tea. We're going to see Disney on Ice: Princess Classics at the Macon Coliseum (we got free tickets, OK?), which I probably will get a kick out of , and he probably will groan through. Not to mention we'll probably be the only people in the audience without children.

But on Wednesday, it will be my turn to acquiesce when we go to Atlanta to see Tori Amos at The Fox (again, free tickets ... we got really lucky this week). I don't exactly listen to her music, but I know I'll have a great time just hanging out with the BF. Plus, it's at The Fox. Almost anything is good as long as its at The Fox.

For me, it's not about what you're doing, but who you're doing it with.

Have you ever done something you weren't interested in because it interested your partner? What are some of the things you've done? What are some things your partner has done for you? Why do you do these things? Do you think it's important to have this give and take in a relationship? Or do you feel that some interests are better kept separate?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you work with people who have kids? Instead of dragging your boyfriend to the ice skating show, you could have been nice and offered them up!

Either way, that's what relationships are about. The give and take - it's really not a hard concept.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...I think I have read a variation of this post before...
___________________________________
Friday, April 13, 2007
Finding common ground
Sorry for posting so late on a Friday (I was swamped today), but better late than never, right?

Anyway, to the point ...

About a month or so ago, I realized that besides liking each other, my boyfriend and I really don't have that much in common. He likes "screamy" music, and I like music along the lines of Kelly Clarkson and Hilary Duff. He likes deep independent movies, and I prefer comedies and chick flicks. And when it comes to clothing style, we're totally different.

I asked my boyfriend if he thought this was a problem -- that we didn't have much in common. He said it wasn't because both of us try to appreciate what the other likes. I go to his concerts, and he goes to mine. We take turns picking out movies, and don't pick on each other for the way we dress (OK, maybe I pick on him a little). As long as we respect the each other and our likes and dislikes, we'll be OK.

Of course, when it comes to values, like how people should be treated, we're usually on the same page.

I'm interested in what you guys (and girls) think. Is it important to share the same interests, or can people get along just fine without them?

posted by Rose at 10:59 PM 5 comments
___________________________________

Looks like someone needs a little help in the relationship knowledge department if you continue to recycle old posts!

Anonymous said...

Anon No. 1: We had four tickets and gave two to a parent with a little girl.

Anon No. 2: I knew that you would probably point out if we had a similar topic before, so I did research before writing. I did find this post, but if you would notice, the topic is different. April's post discusses whether it is possible to carry on a relationship with between two people with different interests. Today's post discusses the different things that we do for our significant others even if we don't want to. Perhaps you would like to add something to the discussion by answering one of the questions posed at the end. Oh wait, you'd rather complain.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh...immaturity rears its ugly head! Poor Anon #2 just wanted to fresh material...as most of us do.

But we all forget the snappiness that will come out of Rose if we dare to point out her originality!

Anonymous said...

If all you guys are going to do is complain about the posts and be rude to the bloggers, why do you even bother to come back to this site and read the posts? They have asked numerous times for suggestions and quest bloggers and have gotten nothing in reply. So until you come up with something new of your own, stop ruining it for everyone else and look at a different site.

Anonymous said...

I have a topic idea that I'm not sure if ya'll have covered. Dating divorcees. I'm 26 and most guys my age are divorced (a lot of them have kids too) and I'm hesitant to date them.

Anonymous said...

Back on topic: In the beginning of a relationship, it's pretty common to go to events or do things you may not enjoy so that you can spend time with your SO or potential SO....but I think after a while, you start to realize that you don't have to subject the other person to something they really won't enjoy, and instead ask a girl or guy friend instead...it is a win/win situation in two ways — 1. You get to spend time with those friends you have inevitably been neglecting and 2. You show respect to your SO that you care about them enough not to drag them to places they don't want to go...