Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Putting it all out there...on the Internet

Recently I was checking my friends' status updates on a social networking site. As I read through them, one stuck out way more than the rest.

One of my female friends listed, to paraphrase in the nicest way possible, her ex-beau's whole name, what his flaws were and how he could take a trip somewhere very hot.

I am all for expressing yourself and I know that venting in an old-fashioned journal or online blog can be very self-cleansing.

However, I couldn't help but wonder if this little status update was really right.

When you put something out that for the whole world to see, it shows that you are bitter. It also shows that you are concentrating on something that, by your own admission, was not worthwhile.

And let's not forget the object of your lack of affection finding it. They get the ego boost or the annoyance that you are still focusing on them when they may have moved on.

Basically, though tempting, there are very few ways, if any, putting something like that on the Internet makes you look any better. It may make you feel better for a little while, but that's about it.

Do you think it's right to put out dirty laundry about your relationship on a social networking site? Have you ever done it and what prompted you to do it? Was there any reaction to what you said?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly have been tempted to air some dirty laundry online but have always resisted. In the end, it will only do more harm than good. The poster usually thinks it makes the ex look bad, but really it's the other way around.

Anonymous said...

My bf recently broke up with me, and I've discussed some of it on the internet, but haven't stooped to calling him names!