Thursday, November 8, 2007

I'm not your alibi

Here's the scenario: Your close male friend who is dating a mutual friend calls you up and says "If she asks where I was at Saturday night, tell her I was with you."

Now, of course, your male friend is doing something he is not supposed to be doing. By making this request, he's putting you in the position to be right in the middle of it.

You have a few options. You could tell him to go shove it and leave you out of it. You could tell him to come clean with the mutual friend. You could also tell on him.

When situations include more than one friend, it tends to become messy. If you tell, the mutual friend may still wonder how long you knew the guy was a jerk. You may lose her trust. Backwards, I know, but we all know how logic can change when emotions are involved. If you try to convince him to tell or threaten to tell, he's going to be upset with you. Or worse yet, he may pull one of those "well Raven told me I should tell you" again showing you possessed knowledge before she did.

My usual thought process is to stay out of it. If the mutual friend calls you that night, make sure you're screening your calls and don't answer it.

So how do you believe you should handle the situation? Should you serve as the friend's alibi? Should you tell the mutual friend? Should you stay out of it completely?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know for sure he was doing domething wrong? If so, I'd tell him to find someone else to cover for him. I wouldn't tell on him unless she calls. Of course, if she actually calls to check his story, maybe she already suspects he's up to something.

Anonymous said...

I'd tell him that I wouldn't lie for him, and if she called I would just say he wasn't with me (if she asked). End of conversation.

Anonymous said...

I don't lie for friends. I'm not getting in trouble for anyone.

Anonymous said...

I think this scenario is a little far fetched.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, because people never ask other people to lie for them ...

*sarcasm*

Anonymous said...

There goes Rose...on the defensive again...

Anonymous said...

My friends don't ask me to lie for them...maybe you should redefine the word.

Anonymous said...

A true friend won't ask you to lie.