Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Single and loving it

I stumbled across a site last week, SingleEdition.com, that calls itself "a lifestyle destination that embraces the culture of single living."

There are no profiles or matchmaking services. This site is meant solely for singles who believe there's more to life than dating. The site offers a variety articles, advice columns and how-to tips for singles (although those in a relationship could benefit from some of the knowledge as well). Right on the homepage, singles are offered fashion tips, an opportunity to connect with other solo travelers and an examination of whether those not in a relationship are falling in love with their work.

Although the purpose of the site is to keep singles from feeling like their lives are not as rich because they don't have a significant other, an article in The New York Times about SingleEdition.com points out a potential pitfall.

Sasha Cagen, author of “Quirkyalone,” which spawned a Web site for singles (quirkyalone.net), said that Single Edition seemed like a “great concept,” but that “their challenge is very tricky: there’s this edge of pathetic-ness that you have to be careful not to go that far into.”

She gave the example of a coffee maker featured on Single Edition that brews just one cup. “Products that imply perpetual singlehood make the user feel like this is it, single forever,” Ms. Cagen said.

That example might be a bit extreme, though. It's not like you can never buy a new coffee maker.

What do you think about the concept of embracing singledom? Admittedly, some people do this better than others. Do you typically do what you want even though you're single, or do you focus all your energy on finding the next date? Are there some things that are just better when you're single? Are there some things that are just better when you're part of a couple?

13 comments:

Pria said...

I don't think there is a problem with embracing singlehood. I'm tired of people making singles feel bad for being single. It's time that we enjoy it.

BeckiLG said...

I'm still confused when it became a BAD thing to be single. I've always enjoyed it. Sure, there are times it would be nice to have someone but that's what friends are for.

And I have a one cup coffee maker and love it. I don't think having a one cup maker makes me feel any more single...

Anonymous said...

I love my one-cup coffee maker, too.

By the way, I'm still single because I have standards.

Anonymous said...

Anon - Lots of people have standards...and not all of them are single.

Maybe your standards are a bit high, because you seem a little snotty when saying that!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed being single. The best thing about it was that I could do what I wanted to do without having to consult with a SO first. If a friend called me up and invited me on a trip, I could just pack a bag and go.

Now that I am married, there is a little less freedom. I think he might freak out if he came home and I had just packed a bag and taken off!

As far as the single cup coffe maker, I've looked into those. I drink coffee, but my husband doesn't, so I don't think it is something that implies you will be single forever! Some people just only need to brew one cup.

Anonymous said...

My personal opinion is that the lady who made the one cup coffee maker comment in the NYT story felt a little threatened. She had a competing Web site, after all!

Anonymous said...

I'm not snotty.

My point is that people think that a single woman, at a certain age, should just date anyone who comes along. If you are getting long in the tooth, you should hop the next train even if it's not going where you want to go.

Women give up their standards to merely be with someone.

I don't have to worry about these things because no one wants to date me, anyway.

Anonymous said...

Whoa...it may because of the pity party you are having for yourself.

This is what I always notice about single women: They always say they are happy on their own, and yet they are the same ones who in the next breath say, "Why won't anyone date me?"

A change in attitude and outlook is the first step in finding someone to be with...like yourself and someone will like you!

Anonymous said...

It wasn't a pity party. I guess I should have ended that statement with a smiley.

I don't have to deal with the problems of relationships. This is a good thing.

Love might be nice to have around but, sometimes, it comes with a lot of baggage. I emotionally invested myself in relationships that ended unpleasantly.

Being single, right now, is like a nice, quiet vacation.

BeckiLG said...

Its so funny how easily people forget where they came from. Unless you had an arranged marriage or a successful high school sweetheart story, chances are we've all been single. Why cut someone who claims happiness being single down so easily?

Anonymous said...

It's not cutting her down at all...it's more about trying to build her up.

She sounded like she was making two different claims - "I'm happy single," and then, "No one will date me."

Sure your life can be fulfilling on your own, but everyone gets lonely sometimes - as I am sure you do Becki - and feeling sorry for yourself won't change that!

BeckiLG said...

I'm confused when anyone said they felt sorry for themselves. And to me, it sounded more like the first anon said she won't date just anybody, not nobody will date her. Very different!

Anonymous said...

I think using the statement, "No one wants to date me," can pretty much read, "I'm feeling sorry for myself."

Jokingly said or not, it's a pity party.