Monday, January 28, 2008

Online dating blunders

Many of us today use the Internet as a way to meet potential romantic partners.

However, like mentioning your ex too much on a first date, it comes with a slew of catastrophes in just trying to know the person. And they can be quite irritating if you keep running into the same problems after awhile.

When it comes to online dating services, there's nothing better than the high school photo of a 45 year old who is divorced with three kids. There are also the people who cannot write a single sentence without using incorrect grammar or misspelling everything. Let's not even go into those that think that overuse of current slang and profanity must be a turn-on.

It's not just limited to online dating services. Everybody loves the guy who finds you on MySpace and just says "Hi there." If he does say more than that, it may be a cheesy pick-up line or an inappropriate comment about your profile photo.

And no matter where you go online, lying about your living situation or whether you have children is not appealing.

What irks you the most when trying to meet people online?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't think online dating is a very reliable way to meet someone, so the simple thought of trying to find a s.o. online is irksome to me...

Anonymous said...

i personally can't get with the whole online dating scene. although i have had many guys try to use myspace & other social networking sites to try & hit on me. usually i just delete the email but there is one guy who had the nerve to send me a message (that at first was innocent so i responded back but abruptly discontinued communication) & then not realizing he sent me a message sent one very similar to me many months later. i had to really laugh at that one. some people apparently hit on so many people online that they can't remember which ones were already attempted & failed.

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

There's too much room for anonymity in online dating. I went into it (innocently, yikes!) after my husband passed away, and after being out of the dating world for about 25 years. What a shock. I thought people told the truth, lol, because I knew I was. I posted real, updated pictures, told about my likes and dislikes, was upfront about myself. Boy, was I in the wrong game. There are good people in online dating, and there are matches that work out, but for me it's better to meet someone in person. Unfortunately, online dating can sometimes be an opportunity for some people to take advantage of others.