Thursday, January 17, 2008

A possible combination: single, happy and female

Recently, Rose blogged on being single and loving it. However, oftentimes, I meet women who cannot grasp that being single can be a positive thing. (Not saying there aren't men like that out there. I just have a feeling there will be more women on Valentine's Day moaning and groaning about having not having someone than there will be men.)

Therefore, instead of just throwing the concept out there, I found ways to become a happy, single woman. The author offered 10 ways to stop thinking being a single woman is gloom and doom. The gist of her instructions are be positive, self-loving and even a little selfish.

I liked her top 10 so much that I thought I would add a few more.

1) Hang around true guy friends. I'm not talking about the ones you secretly want to date. I'm talking about the ones who are so true to themselves when they are around you that you have to wonder if they still classify you as a woman. Do this around Superbowl time or football season and you will have a fun-filled testosterone fix in no time.

2) Become involved. We can't say this enough on here. Find a cause that you're passionate about or an organization you want to join and become active. Take it from me, if you really love it and you truly participate, you will be too distracted to think about anything else. Your calendar will fill up with tons to do.

3) Fake it until you make it. There are some days where you just have to tell yourself that you're happy and plaster on a smile. On these days, I suggest throwing on your personal feel-good music (I prefer rocking out to Michael Jackson's "P.Y.T.") and just trying to be positive when everything isn't going exactly right. By the end of the day, even if you still aren't 100 percent happy, you're still going to wind up feeling 100 times better than if you had let the doldrums take over your day.

Are there any happy, single woman out there? What tips would you give to other single women on how to take advantage of their current status and be happy?

No comments: