Friday, May 18, 2007

Love sick

Men can be pretty needy when they get a cold. When one of my ex-boyfriends got sick, he went from being a self-sufficient man to a needy little boy. He had a fever, he didn't feel good and didn't understand why I didn't want to spend the night with someone who could rub his germs off on me. I have a nervous system to protect, too!

This ex wanted me to forgo going out with my friends because he couldn't go out too. I was supposed to stay home and keep him company. Now, if I had been sick, I wouldn't expect anyone to stay home with me. I can pop a movie in, take some NyQuil and be content. It's not like I was being a bad girlfriend. I brought him chicken soup and ibuprofen and made sure he got to the doctor. I just don't feel that because one person in a couple is sick, the other person has to be at his (or her) beck and call.

Apparently other people do not feel the same way. When I told a friend who was in a long-term relationship that I went out while he stayed home, she said something to the effect of, "Awwww, you left him all by himself!"

Is there some standard of taking care of a sick significant other that I'm not aware of? How do you deal with a boyfriend or girlfriend is sick?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a mother, I have those nurturing instints to take care of someone until they feel more like themselves. I think they heal much quicker with lots of love and attention. If you are careful to wash your hands and not get too close, chances are you won't get sick too : )) My boyfriend (husband) would fall into this category.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and when he's an ONLY child it makes it 10x worse! You would think I became a house nurse. I've gotten to the point now, that I almost get mad at him when he is sick. I feel bad about it, but he acts like such a baby. If the situation was reverse, I would not even bother staying home, much less make him be at my becking call.

Anonymous said...

If I have plans, I am not going to stay home just because my BF is sick. I make sure he has everything he needs where he can get to it easily, but I wouldn't cancel my plans unless I thought there was a chance I'd have to take him to the hospital. A simple cold or stomach virus doesn't count! I would not ask him to stay home if I were sick. I think it's only fair that the expectations are the same both ways!

Anonymous said...

My former husband was employed at a hospital and still is and had the WORST bedside manner when it came to any illness in the home. He would get mad and yell if anyone even mentioned they were feeling ill. Needless to say, that's is one of the reasons he is my "former" husband. Funny thing is he remarried and his new wife is sick ALL the time and had to quit her job because of it. Serves him right : ))

Anonymous said...

With my husband is't the other way round. He doesn't want company when he's sick. And I'm the one with a chronic illness. Maybe that's why. Hmmm... Hahaha

Anonymous said...

The majority of men are just "little boys" who THINK they are grown up ! Women are much stronger than men when it comes to pain and discomfort...why do you think God chose the woman to bear children ?? No mistakes there!!

Anonymous said...

Because I also like the attention he gives to me when I am sick, I don't mind at all giving him as much attention as he wants. Life is too short and I want to make sure I am there for him whenever he needs me.

Pria said...

Men act like the biggest babies when they are sick. I'll make sure my BF is ok; get him tissues or food. I'm still going out though. I would hate someone smothering me when I felt like crap.